Thursday, February 19, 2015

Dispatch from the Land of Hair

Roni here (my real name is Ricky but I love dried pasta so much the Doc (also known as Mom) started calling me Roni ages ago and it stuck) with your news flash of the day:

"Roni" African Grey Parrot, 14.5 years old)

I've been overseeing the Zoo for fourteen, going on fifteen years now. I've seen a lot of things running around in our place, including this monster:

Rook (Bearded Dragon, November 2004-August 2011)

And just when I thought I'd seen it all she came walking in with a crate of juvenile delinquents. They were kept in jail (the bathroom) for a couple days. I don't think they were on parole just yet. Maybe work release? She usually puts critters in there while she tends to them and then they leave. But this time doc put up a baby gate and let them see into the jungle (or land of bird cages as Mom calls it). Now they are running all over the house and competing for the title of midnight tag champion and trying to communicate with me in a foreign tongue. What does "meow" mean? It wasn't in my vocabulary until a few days ago. I already speak English, Lovebird, Macaw and Amazon. I don't need to speak "cat."

Holland, DSH 5 months old
The mammals now equal the birds in number. We no longer live in the land of fur and feathers. We live in the land of hair. Lots, and lots of hair.

No comments: